Umbria is the most picturesque state in Italy; Orvieto is a 3000 year old town perched on a volcanic cliff, with ancient Etruscan settlements dotting the hills before traveling on to Assisi, birthplace of St. Francis, a patron saint of Italy and a man known for his simplistic lifestyle.
What do you see on the day excursion:
- The Cathedral of Orvieto which dates back to 1290 AD, and has a reproduction of the Sistine Chapel’s-Last Judgement by Luca Signorelli.
- The 2000 year old underground caves
of the Etruscans which were used to channel water from the subterranean.
- The papal palace where 5 popes lived intermittently.
- A Climb of the moorish tower that brings you stunning views of the city below.
- Orvieto’s wine and sumptuous cuisine should certainly be on the menu list.
- Assisi is a famous birthplace of St.Francis. It host a beautifully frescoed 2 tier church named after its patron saint. The fresco in the church about the life of St. Francis date back the 13th century but were damaged in an earthquake in 1997 After a multi million Euro restoration spanning 2 years were opened again to rave reviews.
- Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli & the chapel where St.Francis passed away.
Traveling through Assisi and Orvieto you’ll find stunning vistas, classic white wine, hand made ceramics & outstanding religious frescos. Spend the day getting to know the very heart of Italy; we at Europe Odyssey promise an experience everyone will love.Book now